FOUNDERS & HISTORY
The Son-Rise Program was created by authors/teachers Barry (“Bears”) Neil Kaufman and Samahria Lyte Kaufman when their son, Raun, was diagnosed as severely and incurably autistic. Although advised to institutionalize him because of his “hopeless, lifelong condition,” the Kaufmans instead designed an innovative home-based, child-centered program in an attempt to reach their little boy. The Kaufmans’ unique program, which marked a complete departure from existing methods of treatment, transformed Raun from a mute, withdrawn child with an IQ of less than 30 into a highly verbal, socially interactive youngster with a near-genius IQ.
Bearing no traces of his former condition, Raun graduated from an Ivy League university and went on to become the director of an educational center for school-aged children. He currently teaches families and individuals at the Autism Treatment Center of America. Following the publication of the best-selling book, Son-Rise (now updated to Son-Rise: The Miracle Continues), and the award-winning NBC-TV movie Son-Rise: A Miracle of Love, the Kaufmans were flooded with requests for help. Responding to this demand, the Kaufmans established the Option Institute and the Autism Treatment Center of America, where they have been offering The Son-Rise Program since 1983.SEE OUR FULL TIMELINE
We have seen that children
on the autism spectrum can:
- Learn to speak, even if they’ve never spoken.
- Experience real happiness, satisfaction, and love, even if they seem frustrated or combative right now.
- Have deep, meaningful, caring relationships with others, even though they may have appeared disconnected for years.
- Have fun, reciprocal conversations, even if they have a history of rigid communication.
- Make close friends, even if they don’t start with the interest or the tools to do so.
- Live a life that may include college, dates, sports, jobs, hobbies, travel, girlfriends/boyfriends – regardless of how many of these life experiences their parents have been told were simply not possible.
WE DO NOT PUT LIMITS ON THE POSSIBILITIES FOR YOUR CHILD.
We can help you to bring your child as far across the bridge from Autism to recovery as possible. For some, this means complete recovery. For others, this means improvements in their child’s development, human connection, communication, skill acquisition and quality of life far beyond what most would have ever predicted
WE PROVIDE HELP FOR TREATING AUTISM AND TEACH YOU TO:
- Establish a warm, interactive rapport with your child.
- Implement effective educational techniques.
- Enable your child to move beyond repetitive “stimming” behaviors.
- Move through challenging behaviors (such as tantrums or hitting).
- Become a confident teacher and advocate for your child.
- Motivate your child to learn–and to enjoy learning.
- Optimize your child’s learning environment.
- Jump-start speech and language development.
- Relax and have fun–without giving up what you want for yourself and your child.
- Recruit and train a team of volunteers and helpers.
- Find a sense of peace and comfort with your child’s present challenges.
- Create and sustain an attitude of hope and optimism about your child’s future.