FOUNDERS & HISTORY
The Son-Rise Program was created by authors and teachers Barry (“Bears”) Neil Kaufman and his wife Samahria Lyte Kaufman, when their son, Raun, was diagnosed with having a severe and incurable case of Autism and they were advised to put him in an institution. The Kaufmans instead, designed an innovative home-based, child-centered program (The Son-Rise Program) in an attempt to reach their little boy. Their unique program, which marked a complete departure from all existing methods of treatment, resulted in his Raun’s full recovery from autism. He transformed from a mute, withdrawn child with an IQ of less than 30 into a highly verbal, socially interactive youngster with a near-genius IQ. Raun went on to graduate from an Ivy League university, was a director of an educational center for school-aged children and eventually, for a period of time he taught and assumed directorial roles in The Son-Rise Program and in his parents teaching center.
We have seen that children
on the autism spectrum can:
- Learn to speak, even if they’ve never spoken.
- Experience real happiness, satisfaction, and love, even if they seem frustrated or combative right now.
- Have deep, meaningful, caring relationships with others, even though they may have appeared disconnected for years.
- Have fun, reciprocal conversations, even if they have a history of rigid communication.
- Make close friends, even if they don’t start with the interest or the tools to do so.
- Live a life that may include college, dates, sports, jobs, hobbies, travel, girlfriends/boyfriends – regardless of how many of these life experiences their parents have been told were simply not possible.
WE DO NOT PUT LIMITS ON THE POSSIBILITIES FOR YOUR CHILD.
We can help you to bring your child as far across the bridge from Autism to recovery as possible. For some, this means complete recovery. For others, this means improvements in their child’s development, human connection, communication, skill acquisition and quality of life far beyond what most would have ever predicted
WE PROVIDE HELP FOR TREATING AUTISM AND TEACH YOU TO:
- Establish a warm, interactive rapport with your child.
- Implement effective educational techniques.
- Enable your child to move beyond repetitive “stimming” behaviors.
- Move through challenging behaviors (such as tantrums or hitting).
- Become a confident teacher and advocate for your child.
- Motivate your child to learn–and to enjoy learning.
- Optimize your child’s learning environment.
- Jump-start speech and language development.
- Relax and have fun–without giving up what you want for yourself and your child.
- Recruit and train a team of volunteers and helpers.
- Find a sense of peace and comfort with your child’s present challenges.
- Create and sustain an attitude of hope and optimism about your child’s future.